Pages

Monday 19 December 2011

Choco Lava Cake



When Dominos introduced the chocolate lava cakes a few years back, they became a rage in my house. My son had, and still has, a kind of obsession for this lovely chocolate dessert, always looking out for an opportunity to have one. Looking at the cakes left me wondering too,as to how did the chocolate get so gooey inside and oozed out of the cake like a magma. Since then, I have been thinking a lot about how to get the perfect recipe to make this irresistible dessert - and finally, my quest has ended.
"Try as hard as we may for perfection, the net result of our labors is an amazing variety of  imperfectness" - This is what happened to me when I finally set out to bake the cakes. I was so keen to make the recipe to perfection, that I ended up making them twice till I was finally satisfied with the results. The first time, after about 10 minutes, the cakes still looked a little under cooked, so I decided to bake them for extra two minutes.Sadly they got a bit overcooked. I wanted them to be perfect just like the ads on the T.V where the super liquid chocolate center  just oozes out of the cake leaving your mouth watering and salivating. Thankfully the recipe was simple enough to make me want to try it again. And this time I hit the jackpot !! I finally managed to get the beautiful river of chocolate oozing out of my cakes just like the ad on T.V. I felt so proud of myself. Its great to learn from your own mistakes, especially when the mistakes are so incredibly sweet.

Ingredients
2 large eggs + 1 egg yolk
6 Tbsp melted butter
3 Tbsp sugar
100 gms dark cooking chocolate
3 Tbsp flour
1 Tbsp cocoa
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/4 tsp salt

Method
Chop the dark semi-sweet chocolate into pieces. Place into a bowl, add butter. Melt over a double boiler. Remove from heat. Add cocoa and mix well. Keep it aside for 5 minutes to cool.


Beat the eggs with sugar and the salt  for a couple of minutes till nice and frothy. Add the vanilla essence.

Stir in melted chocolate and then the flour.

Butter individual ramekins, (I used muffin moulds) and pour in chocolate batter.

Bake at 185 C for about 10 minutes; the outer part should be cooked and the inner part liquid.


The not so perfect choco lava cake
My second attempt

My success story



2 comments:

  1. yummy and gr8 recipe i am searching this recipe but never tried now bookmark it try it soon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Santosh ! Do try it and let me know how it turned out.

    ReplyDelete