Pages

Thursday 11 February 2016

Grilled Red Peppers in the Philips Airfyer

Need I tell you how much I am in love with my Philips Airfryer!! it is my go to, go for, go everything magic machine for just about everything. Out of all my appliances (and I have every imaginable appliance you can think of...some I wonder why I have them in the first place as they see the light of day once in a bluemoon like my Quesadilla tortilla maker, waffle maker, smoothie maker, empanada press(seriously what was I even thinking?) and many others which are just lying around useless and unused. I guess when you are fond of cooking, like me,it just feels good to be surrounded by all the possible gadgets, you never know what might come in handy!!
To cut the story short, out of the gazillion things I own, this one is my absolute favorite. Its no-nonsense, a breeze to use, no sweat quality appeals to me the most. Whether it is meat or vegetables it grills almost anything to utmost perfection and this makes me go back to it again and again. And I am sure anyone who owns this will agree with me totally. 
I can also proudly profess that my experiments with the Airfryer has impressed many of my friends enough to go and invest in one. So Philips you owe me one!!
My absolute favorite thing to make in my Airfryer is grilling bell peppers. I love how the Bell peppers add a lot of flavor, sweetness and color to any dish without the pungent pepper flavor and roasting them heightens their sweetness. I always try to have a batch ready in my fridge to use as I like to add them in a lot of varied recipes. 
You can use them in dips, soups, casseroles, pizzas, pastas or slice them and use them directly on breads, tarts, stir fries, in wraps amongst a few other things. They really help to boost the color and flavor of the dish. You can also make a big batch and freeze them or puree them with olive oil though I haven't tried it personally as yet.
Red peppers are also a great source of beta-carotene(Vitamin A) and Vitamin C so nutritionally they are a big thumbs up for you and your family.
The biggest advantage of grilling your veggies in the Airfryer is the time factor, Compare grilling peppers for 20-30 minutes in an oven over 10 minutes in the airfryer and I don't need to tell you what most of you are going to choose!! And then there is just no fear of over charring them. You can literally pop them in the Airfryer, go about your other chores and they are ready to use in just 10 minutes. 

Method:
Preheat the Airfryer to 390 F.
Place the whole peppers in the airfryer basket and spray some oil on them,
Set the timer to 10 minutes. After 10 minutes the peppers have shrunk and the skin becomes wrinkled and charred.
Remove them from the basket and cover with an aluminium foil or plastic bag till completely cool.
Once cooled, peel the skins away with your fingers or a paring knife.You can even leave some blackened char on the pepper as it lends a smoky taste to the dish.
Cut them in half and remove the stem and scrape out the seeds.
Use as desired.

Here are some great ways in which you can use the red pepper in various dishes :
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/grilled-red-pepper-sweet-onion-and-tomato-salad.html
http://www.dishmaps.com/roasted-red-pepper-hummus/19945
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/roasted-red-pepper-soup-recipe.html
http://www.healthy-delicious.com/roasted-red-pepper-and-egg-tart/
http://www.mccormick.com/Gourmet/Recipes/Main-Dishes/Chicken-with-Rosemary-Red-Bell-Peppers-and-Olives

I used them here to make a quick meal of some leftover roasted pork and grilled peppers fajitas.






4 comments:

  1. I want an air fryer, but I have way too many appliances right now. I'm curious to know what french fries taste like with an air fryer since I love the taste of the deep fried french fries...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fries cooked in the air fryer are really good. I'm on a low-sodium diet, so I don't even put salt on them and they're still good. As a matter of fact you get more of the potato flavor.

      Delete
  2. These grilled peppers looks so so good. I love fajitas so will have to try this...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love my power air fryer and my power presser cooker that's about all i use any more. Going to roast my peppers now thank you

    ReplyDelete